Thursday, December 27, 2007

University of New England, Armidale, New South Wales

(In 1979, Aged 56 and without a car)

Winter in New England is enjoyable when you
have lovely warm fires, to stand back to.
But when I’m trudging through sludge, methinks
such frigid weather really stinks.

I readily admit no Stoic am I, nor a Spartan yet.
Walking with ice-cold feet, I simply fret.
My dripping nose grows rosy; my hands turn blue;
and my disposition suffers, too.

Although I’m walking all bundled up from head to toe,
the wind-chill factor simply never lets go.
I long for mid-winter’s break, as that is the time
when I go to pass a few weeks in a warmer clime.

New England flowers prettily in springtime,
all the deciduous trees are colourful in fall.
To walk in the park is so pleasant in summertime,
or to sit with friends, ‘neath shade trees in the mall.

Oh, Armidale is beautiful in springtime,
and it’s so exhilarating walking in the fall.
But living here is easiest in summertime,
and when Uni.’s out that’s the very best time of all.

No comments: