Thursday, December 27, 2007

Thoughts on Life

As I come here before you, my thoughts to impart,
I must beg your forbearance, most gentle of heart.
Please to contemplate kindly, as on me you look,
and dismiss not my writing as gobbledegook.

To humanity Nature exhibits two mirrors:
One depicts all life’s pleasures, the other its horrors.
We see sometimes a bowl of ripe cherries – delightful!
And at others a bowl filled with pits – truly frightful!

Life is tragedy-comedy. Sorrow and mirth
are inherent, and programmed in each human birth.
Without darkness we never could appreciate light,
and we need culpability to recognize right.

Sadly, humankind knows that all life ends in time,
and now I, with time’s passage, am well past my prime.
While aware of strength waning as my end time draws near,
correspondingly, life grows increasingly dear.

Oh! Alas! As with dustmen, we all of us must
become, in time’s consequence, familiar with dust.
Which is better than having forborne to exist,
when we’d probably never have known what we missed.

So experience teaches: Enjoy while you may
all the good things of life, as they happen your way.
When you look in life’s looking-glass, smile as you do.
Even try for a laugh – it will come back to you.

No comments: