Friday, September 21, 2007

Dedication of Trilogy

I would like to say, along with Lewis Carroll, in his preface to ‘Through the Looking-Glass:’

‘Thy loving smile shall surely hail
The pleasance of a childhood tale…
We are but older children, dear,
Who fret to find our bedtime near.’

Born into the bleakness of the Great World Depression between World Wars I and II, I was a pretty little girl, always curious, for which I was often scolded. But by questioning and listening to older family members, I learned about post-Victorian English life. I came to understand those qualities which enabled the English to ‘go it alone’ through both World Wars. And I heard about the experiences of family members who emigrated to Australia from England after World War I. So these stories are a memorial to all my English forebears, but are dedicated especially to my daughters:

A.A. Milne spoke for me also, when he had Christopher Robin say:

‘I come to lay this book in your lap.
Do say you like it!
Say it’s just what you wanted!
Because it’s yours.
Because I love you.’

No comments: